Companion Dog Patrol Membership Requirements
Consider joining the Companion Dog Patrol! CDP members and their Companion Dogs are a crucial part of the East Bay Regional Park District's Volunteer Trail Safety Patrol. The CDP would expect the following things of you and your dog:
- Your dog must be well-trained and be sociable with people and with other dogs. To allow these characteristics to be evaluated, you and your dog would be reviewed under an extended version of the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program. This evaluation will determine your and your dog's suitability for this program. Since CDP members and their Companion Dogs are representatives of the East Bay Regional Park District, the importance of this evaluation and certification cannot be overemphasized. This certification must be renewed annually.
- Provide a copy of your dog's immunization records and license and keep them updated as required by law.
- Complete initial basic training and renew your training as required.
- While on patrol, obey all District rules and laws relating to you and your dog.
- Wear an approved Volunteer Trail Safety Patrol uniform top while on patrol.
- Spend at least eight hours per month patrolling District trails at times, dates, and locations of your choosing.
- Attend monthly Volunteer Trail Safety Patrol membership meetings -- a minimum of 8 per year -- on the third Tuesday evening of each month (except December), at District headquarters in Oakland.
- Attend any meetings of the Companion Dog Patrol.
- Carry District volunteer photo ID cards for you and your dog whenever on patrol.
- Patrol with District police officers on special assignments.
- Assist with District parks and trails special events (checkpoints, fairs, races, parades, traffic control, and search and rescue, and the like) under patrol direction.
If you would like to consider joining the Companion Dog Patrol, please use our online form to request more information and a Volunteer Trail Safety Patrol application by mail.